Miss Hodgson - September 2020
Welcome to Reception Class!
The Reception year is a very exciting time for both parents and children. During this year, we will all work together to ensure that your child progresses through a fun, stimulating and active experience as they reach their full potential in all aspects of the curriculum. We hope that your child enjoys the new challenges and approaches in Reception to start their St Hubert's journey.
How we Learn
We believe that every child is unique, who constantly learns through positive relationships, a stimulating environment and rich learning experiences. Therefore, we provide a balance of child-initiated and adult-led activities by fostering and valuing each child's curiosity, which encourages engagement and active learning. We take pride in our indoor and outdoor classrooms by providing a range of practical experiences for example; role play, construction play, sand and water, den building and physical play. Alongside this, we provide regular phonics, literacy, maths and reading sessions.
How Can Parents Support Learning?
We greatly appreciate the role in supporting your child to become an independent learner.
You can prepare your child for school by ensuring that they can:
- Dress and undress themselves.
- Write their name.
- Take care of their toileting needs.
- Identify colours, shapes, numbers and letters, especially those in their name.
- Hold a pencil and other tools, such as; scissors with good control.
You can support your child at home during their time in Reception by:
- Reading fiction and non-fiction books with your child and discussing the main story settings, events, illustrations and characters.
- Recognising different shapes and numbers in the world around us, for example; a square window, door numbers...
- Practising the days of the week, months of the year and the four seasons.
- Providing opportunities for children to count groups of objects and compare quantities.
- Encouraging independent reading of signs and words, by sounding them out and blending them, for example; c-a-t...cat, d-i-sh...dish.
Thank you for visiting our class page.
If you have any queries or worries, please do not hesitate to contact us, where we will be happy to help.
Your Reception Team
Miss C. Hodgson - Class Teacher
Miss C. Allonby - Teaching Assistant