Learning at home opportunities
Miss Hodgson- Class Teacher
Welcome to Reception Class!
The Reception year is a very exciting time for both parents and children. During this year, we will all work together to ensure that your child progresses through a fun, stimulating and active experience as they reach their full potential in all aspects of the curriculum. We understand that every child is unique, which we cater for by providing learning experiences that are inclusive of all children. We're sure that you child will enjoy the new challenges and approaches in Reception that start their St Hubert's journey!
How we Learn
We believe that every child is individual, who constantly learns through positive relationships, a stimulating environment and rich learning experiences. Therefore, we provide a balance of child-initiated and adult-led activities by fostering and valuing each child's curiosity, which encourages engagement and active learning. We take pride in our indoor and outdoor classrooms by providing a range of practical experiences for example; Role Play, Construction, Malleable Play, Sand and Water, Den Building, Small World Play and Physical Play. Alongside this, we provide regular Phonics, Literacy, Maths and Reading sessions. Our learning links to stories that we read daily, with topics being focused on throughout the year.
How Can Parents Support Learning?
We greatly appreciate the role in supporting your child to become an independent learner.
You can prepare your child for school by ensuring that they can:
- Dress and undress themselves.
- Zip their coat up and down.
- Hold a pencil using the tripod grip.
- Handle other tools with care, such as scissors.
- Write their name.
- Take care of their toileting needs.
- Identify colours, shapes, numbers and letters, especially those in their name
You can support your child at home during their time in Reception by:
- Reading fiction and non-fiction books with your child and discussing the main story settings, events, illustrations and characters.
- Recognising different shapes and numbers in the world around us, for example; a square window, door numbers...
- Providing opportunities for children to count groups of objects and compare quantities.
- Encouraging independent reading of signs and words, by sounding them out and blending them, for example; c-a-t...cat, d-i-sh...dish.
There is plenty of support provided to parents who are with us at St Hubert's. Throughout the year, there are Parent Workshops that our families can attend, to learn about the EYFS Curriculum and specific areas of learning. Typically, Miss Hodgson holds a Parents Writing Workshop, Parents Maths Workshop, Parents PhonicsBug Workshop, Parents Phonics Workshop, and Curriculum Introduction Workshops. This year, we are also holding 'book looks' where parents are invited to look at their children's books and learning journals each term.
Thank you for visiting our class page.
If you have any queries or worries, please do not hesitate to contact us, where we will be happy to help.
Your Reception Team
Miss C. Hodgson - Class Teacher
Miss C. Allonby - Teaching Assistant
Miss S. Graham - 1:1 support